Thursday, March 22, 2007

Host Family Update

I really haven’t gotten along or liked my host family particularly at all. Actually, quite the opposite – they are probably the worst Russians I have ever met. I have put in an official request to move, but it is getting close to the end of the semester and I don’t know if anything is going to work out, because everybody in Russia has a cat and I am allergic, and the host family has already been paid so they would have to switch somebody IN to the homestay for me to be able to leave. It really just takes a lot out of me living in close quarters with people for whom I have no respect.

The reason why I haven’t moved yet is because I’ve been kind of hoping that the situation would improve, or that I would find it in some way work for me. Also, Beatrice, my Welsh housemate, is one of my best friends here and has made the situation much more bearable. But, she is leaving at the beginning of April, so I really hope to get out before then.

Nevertheless, I am in Russian to learn Russian, and am in a homestay to practice it. And since my family ignores me, doesn’t even acknowledge that I have returned after being gone for days, and just fight with each other, and tell me to stay in my room if they have guests, I’m not improving my Russian at all. Unless you count the beginning, when it was interesting for me to actually listen to their stupid, frivolous, bratty fights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home